Juneteenth Celebration and Events
The University of Kentucky and surrounding communities will celebrate Juneteenth — the federal holiday that commemorates the emancipation of enslaved Black Americans — with a variety of community events.
Below is a list of events UK and community members are invited to attend in celebration of Juneteenth.
- Soulteenth — noon-7 p.m. Saturday, June 18, at Moondance Ampitheater. A celebration of Black liberation and ingenuity through music, art, agriculture and food.
- 17th Annual Juneteenth Jubilee at African Cemetery No. 2 — June 18. Immediately following Soulteenth on June 18; this event will highlight the spirit of freedom and honor the Civil War soldiers who fought for it.
- Juneteenth Festival at Isaac Murphy Memorial Art Garden — June 19. Festival includes vendors, entertainment, kids' activities and community fellowship celebrating Black liberation.
- Juneteenth Celebration — 5-7 p.m. Sunday, June 19, at Douglass Park. Come out and enjoy food, inflatables and music.
- Juneteenth Independence Day Celebration - Affrilachian Poets Literary Event — 7 p.m. Sunday, June 19, at the Lyric Theatre and Cultural Arts Center. This poetry reading will be hosted by current Kentucky Poet Laureate Crystal Wilkinson and former Kentucky Poet Laureate Frank X Walker. Both are faculty members in the UK Department of English. The event will also feature current and newly inducted members of the Affrilichian Poets, including Amy Alvarez, Ron Davis, Zakia Holland, Nita Jade and Lisa Kwong. The event is free, but registration and e-tickets are required for entry. Reserve your tickets at https://lexingtonlyric.tix.com.
- Jessamine County: Juneteenth Festival — 5-6 p.m. June 17-19, on Jefferson Street.
- Frankfort: What is Juneteenth? Interactive performance by Keith McGill — 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturday, June 18, at Josephine Sculpture Park.
- Richmond: Battle of Richmond Juneteenth Commemoration — 2-5 p.m. Sunday, June 19, at Mount Zion Christian Church.
- Georgetown: Juneteenth Celebration — 1-10 p.m. Saturday, June 18 ,at Ed Davis Park.
- Louisville: Juneteenth Jubilee Celebration — June 17-20, at Waterfront Park
- Raising the Juneteenth Flag — June 13-17
- Juneteenth Festival in Eden Park— June 18
- Junefest — June 19
- Juneteenth Parade — June 20