What We Are About Welcome to the College of Public Health!
In 2004, the University of Kentucky established the College of Public Health to develop transformative solutions to health challenges through teaching, research and service efforts. Located in Lexington, Kentucky, we take seriously our public health responsibility to all communities and individuals in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and beyond.
Our state is at the epicenter in some of the major public health challenges. With that in mind, we are dedicated to transforming and assisting in the creation of a healthier community, state, and world for everyone.
Our vision is to be the catalyst and leader of positive change for population health. Our mission is to develop health champions, conduct multidisciplinary and applied research, and collaborate with partners to improve health in Kentucky and beyond.
We Are Committed to
- Providing excellent education programs for current and future public health workforce through engagement, collaboration, and innovation. This is evident by our accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) and Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME), as well as membership in the Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health (ASPPH), to offer a suite of certifications, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level programs.
- Providing a welcoming, inclusive, and wellness-oriented environment. We welcome everyone where students, faculty, and staff are engaged, inspired and flourish.
- Advancing our innovative and impactful research, teaching, and creative work. To address present and future public health challenges, our faculty engage in a robust portfolio of research activities and guide millions of dollars annually in collaborative projects, with funding sources ranging from NIH and CDC, to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. This extramural funding provides numerous opportunities for students to participate in ground-breaking research.
- Strengthening partnerships with community, public health, university and college leadership. We continue to explore ways to strengthen, develop, and respond to public health needs of the Commonwealth and beyond. This is evident with some of our collaborations which include the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institutes of Health, Kentucky Department for Public Health, Lexington-Fayette County Health Department, Kentucky Public Health Association, the Kentucky Health Department Association along with other community and public health leaders, practicum and workforce development partners, our alumni and more.
- Advancing equity, diversity, and inclusivity. Inclusive excellence is important in everything we do, including education, research, and community engagement with our students, staff, faculty, and partners. Everyone belongs here. You belong here.
These guiding goals and principles have helped us make significant progress and investments into our academic portfolio, meaningful research and service goals.