PhD HSR PhD in Health Services Research Careers
The PhD in Health Services Research is designed to meet the needs of recent graduates planning careers in public health and related professionals, as well as current public health and clinical practitioners, wanting to increase their knowledge of population-based issues.
Evidence-based Approaches to Public Health
- Apply epidemiological methods to the breadth of settings and situations in public health practice; select quantitative and qualitative data collection methods appropriate for a given public health context; and analyze quantitative and qualitative data using biostatistics, informatics, computer-based programming and software, as appropriate.
- Interpret results of data analysis for public health research, policy or practice Public Health & Health Care Systems.
- Compare the organization, structure and function of health care, public health and regulatory systems across national and international settings; and discuss the means by which structural bias, social inequities and racism undermine health and create challenges to achieving health equity at organizational, community and societal levels.
Planning & Management to Promote Health
- Assess population needs, assets and capacities that affect communities’ health; apply awareness of cultural values and practices to the design or implementation of public health policies or programs; and design a population-based policy, program, project or intervention.
- Explain basic principles and tools of budget and resource management.
- Select methods to evaluate public health programs.
Policy in Public Health
- Discuss multiple dimensions of the policy-making process, including the roles of ethics and evidence; propose strategies to identify stakeholders and build coalitions and partnerships for influencing public health outcomes; and advocate for political, social or economic policies and programs that will improve health in diverse populations.
- Evaluate policies for their impact on public health and health equity Leadership.
- Apply principles of leadership, governance and management, which include creating a vision, empowering others, fostering collaboration and guiding decision making; and apply negotiation and mediation skills to address organizational or community challenges.
PhD HSR Student Handbook
PhD HSR AET Page
See the PhD HSR in UK's Academic Exploration Tool.