|New Application Deadlines (see details in Admissions) | Early Decision November 1st | On-Site Interviews Encouraged|
UK MHA Prepares You for the Real World.
We focus on core employability readiness skills in every course from finance to project management. Core Business Competencies include Communications, Critical/Strategic Thinking, Analytical Reasoning, Teams/Teamwork, Decision Support Analytics, and Professionalism/Ethics.
UK MHA Highlights
Administrative Internships (APP) All 4 Semesters
Professional Development Fridays
Industry and Faculty Experts Bring World Problems to the Classroom
Alumni Across the U.S. Support Students from Admission and Beyond
Experiential Learning Framework
ACHE, MGMA, HFMA, and HIMSS, NAHSE Partnerships
Curriculum & Competency Model Vetted by Industry Leaders
High-touch Program Support for Every Student - Faculty Advisors, Alumni Mentor, and Current Student Mentor
Our mission is to provide students early in their careers with competencies that support their success in managerial and leadership positions in complex healthcare organizations and provide a solid foundation for their career development.
How Do We Achieve Our Mission?
Innovative 4 Semester Administrative Practicum Internships for All Full-time Students: work in healthcare while in the program. Students serving alongside local healthcare leader mentors to solve today's healthcare challenges in new and innovative ways
Interprofessional Education for All Students: MHA Students learn how to collaborate, cooperate, and innovate so we can all do better for patients, families, and communities. Learn more about the programs here: https://ciche.uky.edu/ and https://ciche.uky.edu/ipe/curricular-ipe
Faculty-Practitioner Education Model: Integrating expert faculty instruction with industry practitioners to bring current challenges to the classroom in case study and problem-based learning methodologies
Alumni & Industry Partners: Students engaging with alumni and other stakeholders in professional development and mentoring. The Program considers their input critical for our continuous program improvement.
Professionals In the Community: Students sit on the boards of KY ACHE, KY MGMA, KY HIMSS, and KY HFMA. Additionally, they participate in conferences and professional development events
Service Leadership: Every student in the program volunteers for their "Passion organization" giving back to the local community. The MHA Student Association sponsors 2 service events a year cultivated, planned, and implemented by the students.
Where Are Students Placed?
- Leadership positions.
- Healthcare administration fellowship or leadership position in a healthcare organization.
- Typical organization types include acute care facilities, ambulatory services, physician practices, long-term care, bio-medical, and more.
- Areas: Operations, strategy, performance improvement/quality, service line management, consulting, data analytics, human resources, department administration, practice management, program administrators, operations manager, and more.
- Early and mid-careerists (those with minimal or no healthcare administration experience) seeking a highly engaged full-time program they complete in 20 months.
- UK HealthCare employees can apply to the program as part-time students through the Employee Education Program they complete in an average of 32 months.
- All geographic areas and majors are welcome to apply.
“Our students don’t leave here with just a degree. They leave here with a set of relevant leadership skills they can apply right away. They accept positions across Kentucky and the country at UK HealthCare, Norton, Ascension, Duke, the Veteran’s Administration, UC Health, Rush, Mayo and more. But in the process of getting meaningful positions, they’re making differences in their communities.”
Why an MHA at UK?
- The MHA program admits students in the fall only
- Students progress through the program together, in a cohort
- The cohort model allows students to engage with a diverse group of students and experience the program together, building relationships that last a lifetime
- Smaller cohort sizes facilitate interactive and individualized instruction and advising
CAHME Accredited (Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education)
- 2018 Accreditation - 7 years
- CAHME Mentorship Circle
- Access to scholarships and awards
- Foundation in continuous quality improvement
- CAHME Accredited Program provide student access to:
- Modern Healthcare and MGMA (Medical Group Management Association)
Administrative Practicum Position Experience Allows Classroom to Meet Real-World
- Full time students have the opportunity to work in healthcare for all four semesters of the program
- Coaching from healthcare leaders
- Students apply classroom content
- See this page for details
Lexington is Home to Leading Healthcare Systems
Faculty – Practitioner Partnership
Many of the courses in the program include instruction and input from industry experts. Leaders bring relevant experience and real-world examples to the courses, course concepts and gain valuable feedback.
Case Competition Program
- Teams of four breakdown, analyze, and build deliverables for a healthcare case provided by the sponsor
- The team crafts a presentation and then travels to the location to present to a panel of experts
- MHA students receive professional development mentoring that includes presentation/platform skills, decision-making, case analysis, communication skills, data visualization, and much more prior to the competition
- UK MHA attended the UAB and Ohio State Case Competitions last year
- UK MHA team placed 3rd at Ohio State (first year student only competition)
Executive Seminar Series
- Four times a year the program brings highly qualified and experienced leaders right to the UK MHA students
- Main Event: Honored guests provide a one hour talk on current healthcare topics
- Small Group Session – the MHA students gain exclusive access to the leader during a small group session where they can ask more in-depth questions
- Learn more about the series here
Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- First year students have the unique opportunity to engage with our healthcare colleagues in a collaborative environment with students from nursing, medicine, pharmacy, public health, health sciences and dentistry
- Interprofessional Collaboration and Team Skills (iCATS)
- Leadership Legacy
- Deans' Interprofessional Honors Colloquium (DIHC)
Integrative Final Exam (IFE)
- Leave the program knowing you can analyze real world problems, develop deliverables, present solutions, and interact with healthcare executives
- At the end of the Program students apply their coursework and practical experience by analyzing a case and presenting conclusions and recommendations to a panel of industry leaders
- The case, presentation, and question and answer provide an opportunity to assess student competency development and the skills a student has gained during the program
Diverse Faculty Expertise
- MHA faculty represent a diverse breadth of experience, education, and research. Faculty members include respected experts on health systems governance and ethics, clinical management, health law, health economics, process improvement, human resources, organization development, electronic health records, and more
- Faculty members have careers that include healthcare leadership positions, clinical expertise, and academic research and teaching