MHA Master of Health Administration
New Application Deadlines (see details in Admissions) | Early Decision November 1st | On-Site Interviews Encouraged
The MHA program is designed to help individuals assume leadership positions in a variety of health services organizations.
The mission is to provide students early in their careers with competencies that support their success in managerial and leadership positions in complex healthcare organizations and provide a solid foundation for their career development.
We achieve this by integrating expert faculty instruction, research, and service; engaging alumni and other stakeholders in continuous program improvement; and supporting student connections with the healthcare management practice community.
“Our students don’t leave here with just a degree. They leave here with a set of relevant leadership skills they can apply right away. They accept positions across Kentucky and the country at UK HealthCare, Norton, Ascension, Duke, the Veteran’s Administration, UC Health, Rush, Mayo and more. But in the process of getting meaningful positions, they’re making differences in their communities.” - Dr. Maureen C. Jones
Why an MHA at UK?
- The MHA program admits students in the fall only
- Students progress through the program together, in a cohort
- The cohort model allows students to engage with a diverse group of students and experience the program together, building relationships that last a lifetime
- Smaller cohort sizes facilitate interactive and individualized instruction and advising
CAHME Accredited (Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education)
- 2018 Accreditation - 7 years
- CAHME Mentorship Circle
- Access to scholarships and awards
- Foundation in continuous quality improvement
- CAHME Accredited Program provide student access to:
- Modern Healthcare and MGMA (Medical Group Management Association)
Administrative Practicum Position Experience Allows Classroom to Meet Real-World
- Full time students have the opportunity to work in healthcare for all four semesters of the program
- Coaching from healthcare leaders
- Students apply classroom content
- See this page for details
Lexington is Home to Leading Healthcare Systems
- The University of Kentucky HealthCare is located on UK’s campus, just steps away from our classrooms
- CHI Saint Joseph Health
- Baptist Health Lexington
- VA Lexington Health Care
These are some of the care providers in Lexington.
Faculty – Practitioner Partnership
Many of the courses in the program include instruction and input from industry experts. Leaders bring relevant experience and real-world examples to the courses, course concepts and gain valuable feedback.
Case Competition Program
- Teams of four breakdown, analyze, and build deliverables for a healthcare case provided by the sponsor
- The team crafts a presentation and then travels to the location to present to a panel of experts
- MHA students receive professional development mentoring that includes presentation/platform skills, decision-making, case analysis, communication skills, data visualization, and much more prior to the competition
- UK MHA attended the UAB and Ohio State Case Competitions last year
- UK MHA team placed 3rd at Ohio State (first year student only competition)
Executive Seminar Series
- Four times a year the program brings highly qualified and experienced leaders right to the UK MHA students
- Main Event: Honored guests provide a one hour talk on current healthcare topics
- Small Group Session – the MHA students gain exclusive access to the leader during a small group session where they can ask more in-depth questions
- Learn more about the series here
Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- First year students have the unique opportunity to engage with our healthcare colleagues in a collaborative environment with students from nursing, medicine, pharmacy, public health, health sciences and dentistry
- Interprofessional Collaboration and Team Skills (iCATS)
- Leadership Legacy
- Deans' Interprofessional Honors Colloquium (DIHC)
Integrative Final Exam (IFE)
- Leave the program knowing you can analyze real world problems, develop deliverables, present solutions, and interact with healthcare executives
- At the end of the Program students apply their coursework and practical experience by analyzing a case and presenting conclusions and recommendations to a panel of industry leaders
- The case, presentation, and question and answer provide an opportunity to assess student competency development and the skills a student has gained during the program
Diverse Faculty Expertise
- MHA faculty represent a diverse breadth of experience, education, and research. Faculty members include respected experts on health systems governance and ethics, clinical management, health law, health economics, process improvement, human resources, organization development, electronic health records, and more
- Faculty members have careers that include healthcare leadership positions, clinical expertise, and academic research and teaching
Latest MHA News & Events
MHA AET Page
See the MHA on UK's Academic Exploration Tool.