MHA Master of Health Administration Admissions
We are glad to see you are interested in applying to the MHA Program here at UK.
Applications to the MHA program open on August 18th each year and close on March 15th. Please review the application and admissions cycle graphic as well as the admissions criteria to prepare your documents. We have experts available to answer your questions.
- Students applying to the Master of Health Administration program must submit a primary application (for the College of Public Health) and a supplemental application (for the University of Kentucky).
- Applicants can choose to submit their primary application by using either the Health Administration, Management & Policy Centralized Application Service (HAMPCAS) or Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS), but must also complete the supplemental application for the University of Kentucky Graduate School.
We are having Info Sessions for Perspective Students via Zoom: https://uky.zoom.us/j/81143956557.
- September 21 @ 7pm ET
- October 17 @ 6pm ET
- November 14 @ 6pm ET
Students applying to the Master of Health Administration program must submit a primary application (for the College of Public Health) and a supplemental application (for the University of Kentucky). MHA applicants must apply through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS). Refer to the process below for detailed instructions on what and how to prepare.
- Timeline NOTE: Obtaining documents can take several weeks therefore we strongly recommend you begin the process quite early. An application must be complete to be considered (all documents submitted).
- SOPHAS: SOPHAS verification process can take a few weeks as well so leave adequate time to meet the deadlines.
- 3.0 GPA
- 3 supportive letters of recommendations
- Graduate of an accredited (or equivalent) undergraduate program
- Submission of all required materials – link the Applications Checklist
- Personal Statement per guidelines on SOPHAS
Step 1 - Three letters of recommendation
- Letters should include at least one previous faculty member, one professional reference, and one of your choice. No family members, please.
- Submit via the letter writer using SOPHAS. Additional details can be found here.
- Recommendation NOTE: The recommendations should speak specifically about your qualifications to enter an MHA Program. Those that demonstrate your qualities and capabilities will receive stronger consideration. This process can take some time so discuss this with your contacts well in advance. This is often the documents that hold up an application for consideration.
Step 2 - Transcripts
- Obtain your official current transcripts from ALL previous undergraduate and graduate work. Including any school in which courses transferred.
- Transcripts NOTE: Not including all schools often holds up your SOPHAS application
- International Students: International transcripts should be evaluated by WES and submitted to SOPHAS. International applicants must have the equivalent of a U.S baccalaureate degree to be considered for admission.
- International Students: TOEFL or IELTS scores are required and may take many weeks.
Step 3 - Resume/CV
- Review and revise your resume so it accurately reflect your experiences and skills as well as academic and volunteer accomplishments.
Step 4 - Personal statement
- Compose a personal statement that is organized, edited, concise, and clearly answers the questions that have been asked.
- addressing the following questions:
- Your statement should be approximately two pages in length, double-spaced, and cover the specific questions found in SOPHAS.
- Personal Statement NOTE: In addition to the personal statement, if your application is advanced, you will be invited to interview with a panel of faculty and alumni. In preparation, consider pressing healthcare issues, healthcare management challenges, and areas of healthcare of special interest to you.
MHA AET Page
See the MHA on UK's Academic Exploration Tool.