Sponsored by University of Kentucky College of Public Health Public Health Showcase 2023 Registration deadline is March 27th
Event Registration Deadline:
Monday, March 27th, 2023 (required for all attendees, including abstract submissions)
The 2023 Public Health Showcase, sponsored by the University of Kentucky College of Public Health, is a unique opportunity for sharing innovative work in public health research, community practice, teaching, and workforce development.
This event will be held in person on Monday, April 10, 2023, at the University of Kentucky Gatton Student Center (Harris Ballroom), from 11:30am to 3:30pm.
Public health touches everyone and everywhere!
Thus, this event is open to all undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Kentucky and beyond, faculty, staff, community members, public health practitioners, health insurers, healthcare organizations, community organizations, and state agencies and organizations invested in advancing population health.
Event registration is required is required for ALL attendees.
Contact the Office of Research at CPHResearch@uky.edu for any additional questions, information, or guidance.
- 10:30 AM- 11:30 AM Registration and Poster Session Opens
- 11:30 AM– 11:45 AM Welcome/Opening Remarks
- 11:45 AM-1:00 PM Lunch and Showcase Presentation of a Public Health project with Dr. April Young (Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Environmental Health at the UK College of Public Health). Session will feature a roundtable discussion with community stakeholders engaged in guiding substance use research in Eastern Kentucky. The conversation will focus on elevating the voices of people who are often under-represented, with the goal of identifying ways that research can better heed the harm reduction mantra, “nothing about us without us.”
- 1:00 PM-1:15 PM Break
- 1:15PM – 2:45 PM – Poster Session Viewing/Judging and Networking
- 2:45 PM-3:00 PM Break
- 3:00 PM – 3:30 PM – Closing Remarks and Poster Award Ceremony
*Agenda is subject to change. Please continue to stay tuned for further event updates.
Guidance and Objectives
- To allow everyone to show their work, all presentations will be in a poster format only.
- Posters are welcomed to showcase public health research, practice, community engagement, innovative teaching, workforce development, and more!
- Everyone can select the poster template and the structure that best describes their creative work. We welcome artistry and imagination!
- The abstract submission allows for structured and unstructured abstracts. Choose the one that best describes the work that you want to share with your peers.
- It is okay to share work that is in development; this is a great opportunity to get feedback and ideas from colleagues and mentors.
- It is acceptable to present posters that have been recently presented elsewhere, including the CPH Research Day at the CCTS Spring Conference. There will be peers who have not seen this work.
- You do not need to have a formal mentor to submit and abstract and present a poster.
Students can submit posters that are not research posters (some examples could be practicum/internships, a mission/study abroad experience, community engagement). We want to hear about it!
- If you are not sure if your idea/work/experience is poster-worthy, please send us email to CPHResearch@uky.edu. We will be happy to discuss and provide guidance.
- The CPH academic department or research center with highest participation rate will receive an award.
- All student research posters will be considered for the student research poster competition with the following student categories: undergraduate, masters, doctoral, post-doctoral.
- All student posters (not limited to research posters) will have a QR code and the attendees will be able to vote for the most creative and liked posters. The winners will receive prizes.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- An abstract acceptance notification will be sent by email no later than Tuesday, March 7th, 2023 11:59 PM EST. Presenting authors can make changes to the abstract (e.g., update the result section with new results) until 11:59 PM EST on Monday, March 13, 2023.
- Presenting authors will receive a link to upload their poster presentations no later than Wed, April 5th, 2023 11:59 PM EST.
- The CPH Office of Research will cover the printing costs for all posters with CPH authorship, if they are uploaded by Sunday, April 2nd, 11.59pm.
Examples & Templates
UK Poster Templates
Practice-Based Poster Examples
- Check out past American Public Health Association (APHA) Abstract Examples
- Search 2019 APHA abstracts by key words
- Search 2019 APHA abstracts by key words
- Community of practice: Network of providers to address tobacco and nicotine addiction across the globe
- Tiffany Winter, MPH1, Janice Blalock, Ph.D.1, Maher Karam-Hage, MD1, Jennifer Cofer, MPH, CHES1, Alex Hurst, MHA1, Mark Evans, MSW1, Diane Beneventi, Ph.D1 and Ernest Hawk, MD, MPH2. (1)The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, (2)Univ of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- Analysis of maternal mental health, intentional self-harm, and assault during the COVID-19 pandemic in Arizona: A secondary data analysis.
- Kate Lewandowski, MPH and Martin Celaya, MPH. Arizona Department of Health Services, Phoenix, AZ
Engage, learn, and network with all invested in advancing population health in Kentucky and beyond. Free to attend! Deadline to register is March 27th, 2023.
Assistant Dean of Research Operations
Associate Professor, Interim Associate Dean for Research